It’s Christmas Day and we don’t have anywhere to be until later, so I have some time. I find myself thinking about 2011 coming to an end in a mere week. So, I can sit and think about all I did not accomplish in this last year, or I can think about all I hope to accomplish in the next year. I choose looking forward with hope, rather than looking back in defeat. Typically I don’t believe in New Year’s Resolutions, but I’m going to look at it with a different mindset and view them as Ways to Make My Life Better in 2012.
Here is my first draft on Ways to Make My Life Better in 2012:
1. I will fit into a bikini by summer. Knowing my future bikini years are limited, as I am over 40, I will try to squeeze out as many as I can. This will involve eating better and exercising. If you read my earlier post, you know that I came to this realization around Thanksgiving (when my bra was constricting my breathing), but it’s been looming for the last three years. Part of my weight gain was medication that came from battling chronic giant hives, which knock on wood, appear to be behind me. The medication led to weight gain, increased appetite and turning me into a zombie. Of course I have been off the medication for almost two years and now it’s just my own fault. I have to retrain myself on what a serving size is and begin to regain my energy by exercising. I was down 3.5 pounds as of last week, but with Christmas parties and the holidays, I’ve been off my schedule. I’ll climb back on the scale on Monday (or Tuesday). All the excuses are gone and come January 1, I’m climbing back on the wagon to good health.
2. I will make more time to read. I enjoy reading, but with tv, the internet and my iPhone, I’m always connected and find it hard to pull myself away. I have done away with Farmville because I’ve decided living a real life is better than living a virtual life. I will definitely read more books. I will read an occasional magazine, hopefully before it’s over two months old and Ryan Reynolds isn’t with Scarlett Johansson, Sandra Bullock, or Blake Lively (I keep missing my window of opportunity). I will try to read the newspaper more regularly. I used to love reading the paper, but I have found, as I’ve gotten older, that it really is primarily filled with depressing information that maybe I can do without. So, I will try, but I won’t put too much weight on reading the newspaper.
3. I will make an effort to smile at strangers and do small kind gestures (as well as big) to make other people’s lives a little easier. I was at the grocery store two days ago and tried to help this little old lady by taking her empty cart to the cart return for her. It was cold and miserable outside and I thought it would be nice. She didn’t seem to appreciate it very much and gave me a wary and suspicious look. I guess I’ll keep trying anyway, even if I end up pissing people off. Hopefully by the end of the year the scale will tip more toward making someone’s day instead of ruining someone’s day. I refuse to believe that no good deed goes unpunished.
4. I will be there for my husband, even if I have to nag every step of the way, to make sure he gets healthier as well! I’m not a fan of being a nagging wife, but we just found out he has high blood pressure and elevated blood sugar levels and that is not acceptable. I will drag him off the couch and down the road to good health, with me, kicking and screaming if I have to
5. I will refuse to believe the world is coming to an end in less than 12 months. I may take some precautions, but I will still believe that accomplishing the aforementioned goals is the right way to live.
This wraps up my first (and possibly) final draft of Ways to Make My Life Better in 2012. I will keep you all posted along the way. If any of you want to hop on board with your goals, please don’t hesitate and I would welcome updates on your progress. Maybe together we can keep each other on track!